The financial aid process can be confusing and overwhelming. Please use the information and videos below to help you through the process.
WHAT IS FEDERAL STUDENT AID – Federal student aid comes from the federal government -specifically, the U.S. Department of Education.
Federal student aid helps a student pay for higher education expenses such as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies. There are three main types of aid: grants, work-study, and loans.
STEPS TO FEDERAL STUDENT AID
- REGISTER FOR A PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (PIN)- Go to www.pin.ed.gov to register for a PIN. Your PIN serves as your e-Signature for the online FAFSA. Parent and student will both need a PIN.
- ATTEND A FINANCIAL AID NIGHT- Here is a list of financial nights around the Treasure Valley. Please feel free to attend any night.
- GATHER INFORMATION FOR THE FAFSA - You will need the following information in order to complete your FAFSA:
- Social Security Numbers (student and parent)
- Driver’s license number if you have one
- Federal tax information or tax returns – ESTIMATE based on last year’s information
- Record of untaxed income
- COMPLETE THE FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1, 2015. (watch video)
- LOOK FOR AND REVIEW YOUR STUDENT AID REPORT (SAR)- Make any necessary changes and return the corrected form. (watch video)