Margo Hollingsworth — Mathematics
High School Math 1, Pre-Calculus, Statistics
I love teaching at MMACHS! The staff, students, and parents make this a wonderful school. This year I’ll be advising National Honor Society and helping to maintain our Schoology learning platform, in addition to my regular teaching duties.
Each year I find that students who focus on learning end up with a grade they are happy with. Students who focus on getting a certain grade struggle to do so, because their mindset is focused on the goal rather than the steps that lead to the goal.
My educational philosophy:
- Learning should always be the focus, not the grade
- Learning is more meaningful when we are active participants
- It’s okay to struggle to learn something
- Things that we relate to other areas in life are recalled more easily
- Everyone has room for improvement
- Everyone can learn from seeing how other people solve problems
- Explaining how you did a problem solidifies your own understanding
- Determination and perseverance are essential to success
- The formal study of mathematics teaches reasoning skills